The Productive day on the rescue boat started when we drove past a cruiser who had a tender tied behind it. The tender had actually sunk and only half the boat was out of the water. Several of us roused the person on the boat who was slurring as he spoke and it was not from alcohol. He was actually very stoned after a hard night smoking most likely. He was not making sense and after informing him about the boat and his rambling, we drove off to do some training. While not far away from the boat we were listening to the marine radio and we all picked the man’s voice on the radio calling the rescue base. He did not know where he was and he did say that his tender had sunk into the water.
When we arrived at the boat again the man had no idea what way was up and we managed to untie the tender and refloat it all the water drained out although some of us had to bail the boat out and my proudest moment was when I actually tied a bow line to the tender as we were going to use it to tow the boat behind us. This was all under pressure and I actually thought I had done the knot wrong until others told me it was a pretty decent knot and it held. The man was not very clear, when we tried filling out his details although we handed him a bill to pay up on the hill at Point Danger.
The second job came about when most of the crew had gone home as the boat had been up away. I had just finished my coffee when we received a code blue to go and help the maritime officer to retrieve a Yacht that had broken from its moorings. The wind was at least 30 knots when we arrived and the plan was to either tow the yacht or raft her beside us to place on a new mooring. The Maritime officer had informed the owner about their boat. After rafting the yacht beside us and two crew members were working on the yacht and I was on the bow of the rescue boat looking after the ropes. The skipper was maneuvering the two boats towards a vacant mooring although with the strong wind we could not get close to the device. The Maritime boat had actually pulled it up so the mooring could be placed on the yacht, but he ended up with rope stuck in one of his propellers. In the end we all decided to put the yacht anchor down instead. The wind was getting to everyone and trying to push a big yacht to where we wanted against the wind and the tide was not working. The Yacht was actually called Saga, so we had a mission on our hands.
The next job was right after we had gotten the ropes inside the rescue boat after the yacht incident. During the time we were just letting the ropes go a jetski had come over and told the skipper a vessel had ran out of fuel around 300 metres from where we were working. We found the boat and they had actually run out of fuel not far from the boat ramp they had launched from. This time the skipper again decided to raft the boat beside us. The story was they had not used the boat in two years and decided to go out on the river. They had run out of fuel, probably thinking there was enough. Getting into the harbour, where they could dock and safely drag their boat around, I was getting the ropes off when I slipped while on the bow. The lucky part was the railing stopped me from slipping far, although people were watching. I was not hurt in anyway although my mishap could have been worse with me falling off the boat into the water. Accidents do happen and it was only a slip on a wet boat. These events took place around three hours from start to finish, although there had been a break in between.